It is the 30th anniversary of the June 1993 theatrical release of the hit movie Sleepless in Seattle.
And the Empire State Building and the Space Needle, and their respective cities, are celebrating the movie and their roles in it with the simultaneous lighting of both landmarks; special screenings of the film; activations at both attractions; and a sweepstakes that will grant two lucky winners a weeklong trip to both Seattle and New York City.
Sleepless in Seattle Anniversary Events
Here are some of the anniversary events on tap:
- June 30: “It’s a Sign” – On June 30 at sunset, both the Empire State Building and the Space Needle will light up together. The Space Needle in red and the Empire State Building in lavender + red with a heart spinning in the tower’s mast to resemble the original movie artwork and the “sign” that led the movie’s Annie Reed character back to the top of the Empire State Building.
- Special Anniversary Screenings – On July 1 at 9:30 p.m., Seattle Center will screen Sleepless in Seattle at the Mural Amphitheater. Visitors to the Empire State Building Observatory will be able to purchase tickets to view Sleepless in Seattle from a private area on the 80th Floor on July 9 at 9 p.m. (More information here).
- Recreate the Magic: From June 29 through July 3, visitors to both the Empire State Building Observatory and the Space Needle can recreate the iconic movie poster from Sleepless in Seattle as they pose for their authentic shot. From June 30 through July 2 there will also be themed cocktails on the menu at the Space Needle Bar.
- And of course: the Sleepless in Seattle Sweepstakes: Enter the Sleepless in Seattle sweepstakes now through midnight July 21 at sleepless30.com. One winner will be randomly selected and announced on August 7 and will receive a six-night trip for two to both Seattle and New York City, with flights provied by Alaska Airlines.
- In Seattle, the experience will include a three-night stay at The Pan Pacific Hotel in Downtown Seattle and a VIP tour of Space Needle with dinner for two at the upscale Loupe Lounge on the world’s first and only revolving glass floor. Bonus prizes include CityPass tickets and a $500 gift card towards experiencing the movie’s iconic locations, including the world-famous Pike Place Market, Alki Beach and Gas Works Park.
- In New York City the experience will include a three-night stay at the five-star Langham, New York, Fifth Avenue; two weekly unlimited Metro cards and CityPass tickets, an all-access tour of the Empire State Building followed by a special prix fixe dinner with wine pairing at STATE Grill & Bar, the Empire State Building’s signature restaurant.
- Whether or not you’re a Sleepless in Seattle fan, this would be a great adventure. So enter here.
Sleepless in Seattle Souvenirs
Even after 30 years, there are plenty of places in Seattle to get Sleepless in Seattle souvenirs.
Our favorite is at Seattle Tacoma International Airport (SEA), where thousands of Sleepless in Seattle nightshirts are sold in the gift shops each year.