An aviation think-tank at the University of British Columbia has released its annual ranking of airports, comparing the operational and management efficiency, as well as cost competitiveness of 183 airports and 25 airport groups in North America, Europe, Asia and Oceania.
According to the 2012 ATRS Global Airport Performance Benchmarking Report, the most efficient airport – for the sixth year running (!) is Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL).
What’s their secret?
“Our report shows that the world’s most efficient airports are supplementing core income with money generated through non-aeronautical revenue streams, such as parking, office rentals, retail activity and real estate development,” said Professor Tae Oum, who heads up the UBC Sauder School of Business, which conducts the survey.
They found that ATL generated 63 per cent of its total revenue from non-aviation activities, compared to the lowest-ranked North American airport Denver International Airport (DEN), which secured only 37 per cent of its income from alternative sources.
Why should you care? Oum says more efficient airports offer lower aircraft landing fees and passenger terminal charges, leaving more money in the pockets of travelers.
See where your favorite airport ranks in the list of World’s Most Efficient International Airports:
North America – More than 15 million annual passengers
1. Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport
2. Charlotte Douglas International Airport
3. Minneapolis – St. Paul International Airport
North America – Less than 15 million annual passengers
1. Raleigh-Durham International Airport
2. Richmond International Airports
3. Will Rogers World Airport
Canada – overall
1. Vancouver International Airport
2. Calgary International Airport
3. Edmonton International Airport
Europe – More than 15 million annual passengers
1. Copenhagen Kastrup International Airport
2. Oslo Airport Gardermoen
3. Zurich Airport
Europe – Less than 15 million annual passengers
1. Genève Aéroport
2. Nice Cote D’Azure Airport
3. Edinburgh Airport
Asia – Overall
1. Seoul-Gimpo International Airport
2. Incheon International Airport
3. Hong Kong International Airport
Oceania – Overall
1. Sydney Airport
2. Queenstown Airport
3. Dunedin International Airport