Courtesy National Library of Australia, via Flickr Commons
You might learn something new next time you take a Virgin American flight.
Starting February 1, free audio and video lectures from the popular series The Great Courses will be available on the airline’s Red in-flight entertainment system.
The series library runs to more than 530 titles and covers everything from history and music to science, literature, language, health, nutrition and personal development.
Virgin America will be offering these course samples:
• Neil deGrasse Tyson’s Inexplicable Universe; from the course, The Inexplicable Universe: Unsolved Mysteries (video)
• Cook Like a Pro Chef: Lessons From The Culinary Institute of America; from the course, The Everyday Gourmet: Rediscovering the Lost Art of Cooking (video)
• Sneferu – The Pyramid Builder; from the course, Great Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt
• Um, Well, Like, You Know; from the course, The Secret Life of Words: English Words and Their Origins
• Did Slavery Really Cause the Civil War?; from the course, The Skeptic’s Guide to American History
• The Enlightenment and an Introduction to the Classical Era; from the course, How to Listen to and Understand Great Music
• What is Big History?; from the course, Big History: The Big Bang, Life on Earth, and the Rise of Humanity
• Junk-Food Monkeys: What Happens When Baboons Eat like Us?; from the course, Being Human: Life Lessons from the Frontiers of Science
• Becoming a Spy; from the course, Espionage and Covert Operations: A Global History
• Making High-Stakes Decisions; from the course, The Art of Critical Decision Making
• Not All Carbs Are Created Equal; from the course, Nutrition Made Clear
• Creative Nonfiction: Writing Great Beginnings; from the course, Writing Creative Nonfiction
• How People Respond to Incentives; from the course, Thinking Like an Economist: A Guide to Rational Decision-Making.