In 2013, San Antonio International Airport will officially celebrate 60 years as an airport, but this month marks the 70th anniversary of the airport’s role as an airfield.
In 1941, the city of San Antonio bought 1,200 acres of land for the purposes of building an airport. But World War II came along and the Army took over the land and opened Alamo Field, which was used by the United States Army Air Forces as a training base throughout the war. The city got the airfield back after the war and opened its commercial airport in 1953.
Thanks to Rich Johnson of the San Antonio Airport System for sending along these photos.
Souvenir Sunday: snow globes and pet tornadoes